As a part of the forest carbon team, you will advise clients on the development of forest carbon offset projects around the world. You will report to TerraCarbon’s Forest Carbon Technical Services team. Your work will help drive funding to small and large forest owners/communities to adopt and/or improve good forest management practices, increase carbon storage, and build resilience to climate change. You will focus particularly on supporting clients developing forest carbon projects including afforestation, reducing deforestation and degradation (REDD+), and improving forest management. You will work with a creative and passionate team of experts and the world's leading organizations that are scaling up nature-based climate solutions.
The location for this position is flexible, ideally based in our Portland, Maine or Charlottesville, Virginia offices, or it can be remote. The job comes with a competitive salary (based on experience), profit sharing incentives, health insurance benefits, generous time off, and flexibility to support work-life balance.
What you'll do
● Support consulting engagements centered around the development of forest carbon offset projects and feasibility analyses, seeing projects through validation, verification, and registration
● Contribute to science-based analysis and reports, drawing on the latest research and applying approved greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting methodologies
● Build and develop relationships as a trusted advisor with for-profit, non-profit, and government clients
● Provide clear and detailed methods description of all analyses to clients
● Collaborate with internal staff and external clients to creatively solve challenges related to quantifying the climate and other impacts of improved management, conservation, restoration, resilience, and adaptation activities
● Support the development of new business opportunities and proposals for consulting assignments
● At the end of your first year, success would mean supporting the project feasibility analysis and/or design for at least three projects, serving as the project lead on at least one project, and developing strong familiarity with relevant accounting frameworks and methodologies
●Graduate degree in forestry, forest science, environmental science, or natural resource
● At least 3 years of working experience in a relevant field (e.g. scientific research, natural climate solutions, restoration ecology, etc.)
● Familiarity with forested systems and/or experience with growth and yield modeling
● Strong field and analytical skills, including proficiency in sampling design, statistics, and database management
● Knowledge of GIS software, R, Python, and/or SQL is a plus
● Acumen in project planning and management
● Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills
● Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (approximately 10-30% of the time)
● Experience living or working abroad is a plus
● Fluency in English required, proficiency in a second language is a plus
The job comes with a competitive salary (based on experience), profit sharing incentives, health insurance benefits, generous time off, and flexibility to support work-life balance.
Interested candidates should send a CV and writing sample to email@example.com.