A postdoctoral research associate position is available in the National Institute of Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS) at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. This position is funded by the US Forest Service (USFS) and the postdoctoral mentors are Dr. Todd Schroeder (USFS FIA Program email@example.com) and Dr. Monica Papeş (Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and NIMBioS Spatial Analysis Lab firstname.lastname@example.org). The project will use various sources of point cloud data (e.g., NAIP, Worldview-2, etc.) to evaluate the potential for improving canopy height maps and post-burn assessments of forest structure change in the southeastern US. Potential for using point clouds to improve the precision of FIA plot locations will also be explored. Additional research topics based on the candidate’s interest and experience using terrestrial, airborne and/or spaceborne LiDAR are also possible.
• A Ph.D. in a pertinent field (biology, forestry, geography, computer science or remote sensing)
• Research experience integrating 3D point clouds and forest inventory data to analyze forests
• A strong background in spatial analyses in ESRI, QGIS, R, python, and/or Google Earth Engine
• Experience in scientific publishing; ability to independently write papers for journals; evidence of successful prior publication
• Ability to work and communicate with a multidisciplinary and diverse team
• Willingness to help with the preparation of additional grant proposals would be a plus
An initial appointment will be for one year, with the potential for renewal if further proposals are funded and postdoctoral researcher makes satisfactory progress.
A start date by August 15, 2022 is preferred. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Send your application by June 30, 2022 to email@example.com as a single pdf file containing your CV, statement of interest, and contact information for three references. In addition, an employment application must be submitted at: tiny.utk.edu/FIA-NIMBioS-postdoc
The University of Tennessee is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.