The Reforestation Program Manager will lead The Climate Trust’s nascent reforestation program, which has been selected for a $15 million USDA Partnerships for Climate Smart Commodities Grant. This position will lead recruitment, implementation, development, and ongoing management of reforestation carbon projects. The position requires a unique combination of personal communication and project management skills, expertise in implementing reforestation projects, and strategic thinking. The Program Manager will execute project origination strategies with the Director of Forest Carbon, manage partner relationships, implement projects, and ensure program milestones and reporting requirements are met. This position will supervise a Reforestation Project Analyst and report to the Executive Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Recruit landowners to TCT’s carbon reforestation program:
· Originate new projects with the Director of Forest Carbon by engaging with a broad range of stakeholders including indigenous Tribes and Nations, private and public landowners, consulting foresters, project developers, and NGOs, etc.
· Conduct initial project due diligence including site evaluations and project assessments · Educate landowners on reforestation program requirements and carbon markets
· Work with TCT forestry staff to complete carbon project feasibility assessments modeling forest growth and suitability for carbon project methodologies or commodity-embedded carbon benefit sale Manage reforestation project implementation including:
· Planting design, project budgeting, placing seedling orders, selecting and supervising contractors, overseeing planting, ongoing maintenance, and forest inventory,
· Work with landowners to set up management and monitoring plan covering the life of the project
· Ongoing landowner, partner, and contractor communication Manage Reforestation Program · Prepare and/or supervise preparation of grant reports
· Develop reforestation program strategy with senior staff
· Analyze market for and explore opportunities related climate-smart timber
· Supervise Reforestation Project Analyst tasks
· Assist TCT staff with program marketing
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assess nascent nature-based offset project types as assigned · Assist in deliverables such as review of new carbon offset project protocols, data interpretation and analysis, and contribution of written content into meaningful conclusions and recommendations · Other duties as assigned such as marketing and communications support, proposal writing, organizational strategy input, presentation support and other general tasks
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE:
· MBA/MF, MF, MFS, or MS in natural sciences, or BS in forestry with equivalent experience
· Minimum 2 years of experience managing reforestation projects and 3 years combined experience managing reforestation projects, landowner outreach and relationships, forestry, carbon markets, corporate ESG governance/strategy, and/or sustainability consulting
· Comfort and ability to communicate with broad range of stakeholders ranging from ranchers and foresters to investors, brokers, and academics
· Familiarity and experience in diverse range of forest types
· Strong writing skills
· Ability to travel on occasion, up to 25% of the position
· A valid driver’s license as well as an acceptable driving record
· Ability to perform occasional field work in steep, rugged terrain, and inclement weather
· ArcGIS spatial analysis experience is a plus
· Experience with FVS or other growth and yield programs is a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
*Note that because this job requires travel, the employee may be required to perform occasional field work in steep, rugged terrain, and inclement weather. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is also regularly required to effectively communicate via chat/messaging systems and email. The employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position and occasionally required to move from one location to another, inside or outside of the office. The employee is required to constantly use computer and office productivity equipment such as a desktop computer, laptop, and printer, as well as computer software. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently lift up to 10 pounds. The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
This job posting in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
• Annual Performance Award
• 401K- The Climate Trust will match up to 4% of employee compensation
• Health and Dental- The Climate Trust pays 100% of employee premium and 80% for family members
• Life, Short Term, and Long-Term Disability as well as a Supplemental Disability Plan
• Paid Holidays- Eight paid holidays as well as 2 floating holidays to be used at any time during the calendar year.
• Paid Time Off- Employees begin accruing PTO immediately after hire. Full time employees earn 25 PTO days per year.
• Flexible Spending Plan
• Commute and/or Work from Home Stipend
• Cell stipend
• Wellness stipend
• Continued Education and Training Benefits
The Climate Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with anti-discrimination regulations as applicable. People of all genders and members of all racial and ethnic groups are encouraged to apply. Apply here.